Template

Friday, October 15, 2010

Whirlwind Social Life

When we first announced that we were downsizing and moving to HCR (Hill Country Retreat), several of our old friends teased us about going to the retirement center.  Many of those friends have visited us here and now can't wait  until they can come join us.

'THE HOME', as I like to call it when SOAP has a senior moment, has a lot to offer.  Just last week we had covered dish dinners on 2 consecutive nights! One night was for our neighborhood, The Parks.  It was to celebrate the end of construction on our 2 streets.  Our house was the second to last to be completed and I can only imagine what the rest of the neighborhood has had to endure over the past year.  The other night was for the entire HCR community to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of HCR.  We had a DJ and as the saying goes, a good time was had by all.   Did you know that one can line dance to big band tunes and 50s oldies?  I must confess that never crossed my mind until last weekend.

Last month I was asked to take a spot as a regular in the 3rd Thursday Neighborhood Bunko group.  Now that's a fun group of ladies.  We take turns hosting and have either appetizers or desserts and then the twelve of us spend 2 hours having a ball yacking and hollering and getting to know each other.   At the end of the night a few of us (not me yet) walk away with a small cash prize.  The gal that I am replacing had already done her hostess duty this year so I don't know when my turn will come.  SOAP and The Boys will have to find somewhere else to be on that night.

Ladies Luncheon is on the second Tuesday.  We usually have a theme and a speaker and table decorations to go along with the theme.  I am on the decorating team.  Each month two of us are in charge of the centerpieces and table settings.  November is my month.  The theme is something about plants you can keep indoors in the winter.  My idea was pots of dead plants since that is what I am best at.  We went with little pots of ivy instead.  This afternoon will be a busy one.  Donna is coming by on her golf cart to pick me up so we can go down to the ballroom and count the clear plastic tableware.

2 comments:

  1. Bunco is the most fun ever! We play on the first Thursday of the month and have a blast! I started as a sub last year and have played every month since. Now I'm one of the "regulars".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Anne, you know how to have fun! So thrilled you are having a good time with the ladies!

    Love ya, Maryjane

    ReplyDelete